Thursday, March 15, 2012

St. Anselm: Christ Alone

I found this awesome quote from St. Anselm from an old magazine called "The Presbyterian Guardian."  In this quote Anselm lays out what Protestants identify as the active and passive aspects of Christ's obedience:


"While there is life in thee, in this death alone place thy trust, confide in nothing else besides; to this death commit thyself altogether; with this shelter thy whole self; with this death array thyself from head to foot. And if the Lord Thy God will judge thee, say, Lord, between thy judgment and me I cast the death of our Lord Jesus Christ; no otherwise can I contend with Thee. And if He say to thee, Thou art a sinner, say Lord, I stretch forth the death of our Lord Jesus Christ between my sins and Thee. If He say, Thou art worthy of condemnation, say, Lord, I set the death of our Lord Jesus Christ between my evil deserts and Thee, and His merits I offer for those merits which I ought to have, but have not of my own. If He say that He is wroth with thee, say, Lord, I lift up the death of our Lord Jesus Christ between Thy wrath and me."

No comments:

Post a Comment